Friday, September 17, 2010

For Maxine

Last night I ran my weekly 4 mile race.

I have run it many times and in a way running the same course week after week does something to you. In essence, the race becomes a familiar friend that you visit once a week. You see each mile as a conversation, your shoes hitting the pavement with a thud and your breath heavy and even. Some weeks the conversation is tough. It can be about pain and self-doubt. Often, it is hard due to many miles run that week, other times it is painful due to injury or poor pacing.

This week the conversation was about my family. Over the last year I have been through a lot and there were a lot of times that I didn’t think that I could go on. The only thing that I could hang my hat on during this time was my family. My parents steadfast support was the stuff that most people only dream of. Often times my thoughts have turned to them while running, however, this week I was thinking of someone else.

My grandmother, who is the oldest living member of my family at 92, has always been the nicest person I have ever known. She is some sort of incarnation of Ms. Claus. With her curly white hair and constant adorable wink, she is the picture of what a grandmother should be. As a reporter for years she was well known throughout the town of Fort Dodge, IA. As kids when she would take us to Tom Thumb for burgers, or pretty much anywhere in town we would run into at least 2 or 3 people who knew her. I thought she was famous. The truth was, that her sparkle, her amazing personality, led her to make friends with almost anyone and also was a tremendous asset to her in her job.

She also raised two amazing women, my mom and my aunt. Both of whom are role models for what intelligent, thoughtful, caring women should be.

This week she is in the hospital, and I wish that I could give her some of my strength. So I ran as fast as I could, but I felt light and even when the breath burned my lungs I didn’t waver. I beat my best time, and finished 3rd, earning a spot in the newspaper. The whole time I just kept thinking, “I’m not giving up tonight, I'll fight as hard as I can. I will dedicate this run to her.”

When I got home, I took all the medals I have from all the triathlons, marathons and other road races I have run over the past 6 years and put them in the box. Today I am shipping them to her. Those medals are a piece of me and I hope she can gather strength from them on her journey, wherever that may take her. She is a greater champion than any medal can grant her, because she has lived a life of love and of purpose. Let us all strive to do the same.

A list of my medals:

Jingle bell run 5k

New jersey half marathon

Vermont city marathon

Ras na heireann 5k

Philly independence tri

Title 9 womans tri

Cranberry tri fest

Patriot half ironman triathlon

1 comment: