Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Uccidere il drago

Running in Rome is a funny thing... Over here, even in Italian, they call it "jogging".

The side streets are better than the main street for running, mainly because the sidewalks are narrow and crowded. The B and B proprietor, Barbara, says, "the air is much better on the side streets, don't you think?... Because of the pollution." I am just happy not to have to chose whether to dodge the overgrown ivy and pedestrians or dodge the throng of fiats and smart cars that whizz by. Barbara says to me, "I saw you out on your run, and I used the horn. You seemed very serious and fast." I replied that I was just trying not to get lost. I had a hand drawn map (that on my first 'run' out I seemed to stop and check every ten feet) and know only about as many italian words as I have fingers so if I get lost....you get the idea.

The side streets have no sidewalks so I have to run in the road...but after the first tenuous time out, I feel free! Dodging the cars becomes a game and I love the winding streets. The rolling hills are great fun and in stark contrast from Firenze. Apartment complexes line the hills and I wonder what it is like to live here. A few miles from the Tiber river...where new and old collide. Gucci and ancients walk the line, playing chicken...jockeying for importance.

In Firenze, running up to the piazza del Michelangelo, I felt like rocky running up the art museum steps. Triumphant, I stood looking out on the city...reflecting on the wonder that had washed over me in the previous few days. One of the most important being the de chirico exhibit and visiting the piazza Santa croche afterwards. Envisioning what the painter felt as he laid brush to canvas. Of this whole experience I thought of his words, "what is there to love if not the enigma."

Location:Via Campione d'Italia,Rome,Italy

No comments:

Post a Comment